[Zope] Hotfixes: serious suggestion

Frank Tegtmeyer fte@d.de.mqi.net
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:18:24 +0200

Hi all,

I already wrote it to DC but got no response, so I will try to get some
feedback here.

At the moment DC uses the north american way of expressing dates and
assigns them in this form to the names of the Hotfixes. I propose another
naming scheme and will explain the reasons below.

The current format is Hotfix_08_09_2000, my proposed format is
 Hotfix_2000-08-09.
This is the ISO 8601 format (abbreviated form).

Reasoning:

First of all Zope is a product of a north american company but is used
worldwide. Not all countries use the american form of dates, so it would
be nice to have a standardized one (in my opinion this applies also to the
standard date functions in Zope).

The reasons for establishing ISO 8601 apply here as well:
- ordering of month and day are different in Europe and America,
  this leads to difficulties interpreting date values
- ISO dates are sortable by string functions
- ISO dates are easy to parse by humans AND programs

Opinions?

Regards, Frank