[Zope] Corruption caused by 'Pack'?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:26:23 +0200 (CEST)

Marcin Kasperski writes:
 > Dieter Maurer wrote:
 > >
 > > Marcin Kasperski writes:
 > >  > .... pack corrupts Data.fs ....
 > >  >
 > >  > Has anyone notified similar problems? What could be going on?
 > > An officially announced and fully described bug...
 > >
 > > You know by now where you find the searchable archive?

 > others mention, that packing does not work in scenario 'pack
 > for 0 days' then 'pack for 10 days' (when one packs for more days than
 > previously).
That is the one, I had in mind!

 > AFAIR I have never packed my database - an attempt to pack
 > for 10 days, which caused critical errors, was the first one!
If you indeed never did a pack before, then you probably have
found a new packing bug.

In this case, I would expect, that Jim Fulton is very much
interested in your corrupted ZODB to analyse the problem.

 > The newest message on zope-dev mentioned that the bug is fixed and will
 > be removed in 2.2.0. I use 2.2.0 and have never used older version.
My memory may mislead me, but I believe that the above mentioned
packing bug was announce shortly after Zope 2.2.0 was released.

 > Nevertheless, it seems strange to me, that the function containing so
 > critical error is described in detail in Zope Content Manager Guide -
 > short intro for beginners.
The Content Manager Guide is not rewritten when a bug is detected
in one described function.

Dieter