[Zope] Making lots of external data searchable?

Anselm Lingnau lingnau@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
1 Dec 2000 12:54:20 GMT

I'm using Zope to re-vamp a web site, one of whose most important
features is an archive of a reasonably busy mailing list, which is
accessed using home-grown Perl CGI code. I've written Python code to
let users browse the archive sorted by users, subject etc., but now
I'm looking at allowing text searches. The »old« instance of the web
site used Glimpse and a simple CGI script (in Perl) to do this across
the whole site (including the mail archive) and ideally this would be
what I'm after for the new version as well.

However, the mail archive now weighs in at about 45 MB in individual
text files (one per message), and I don't really see myself putting
this into the ZODB so I can use ZCatalog. ZCatalog, however, looks
good for indexing the rest of the site (I haven't done this yet). Is
there a reasonable way of interfacing Glimpse with the Zope searching
machinery so I could again have one-stop searching of the whole site?
(It would probably be straightforward to search just the mail archive
by calling out to Glimpse and massaging the results.)

Anselm
To those who doom Unix at the hands of NT, well, not this decade, pal.
                                                                  -- Ade Barkah