[Zope] IP address and US city name

Cymen Vig cvig@raw-io.com
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 23:53:15 -0600

<snip>
> >> No Bill. You are the one that is wrong. :)
> >
> > Actually Hung, on this one he is right.  I owned and operated an
> > internet service provider for four years.  There is no 'strict' policy
> > of who gets what address block.
>
> There are a few companies out there which try to provide that service.
> Check out www.visualroute.com , it's not too expensive and sorta
> accurate. In any event, what Michel said applies, there is no
> geographic IP map, although the initial assignment of IP space tried to
> do that (check out the old forms from nic.ddn.mil, which was in charge
> of assigning numbers before arin).

On another tangent there is an interesting RFC (1876) that documents
an extension to the DNS record to include geographical information.
Not useful for what you are looking for (as it probably isn't widely
implemented and is subject to error in event of movement of the server)
but for a company managed network it would be pretty nifty!

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1876.txt

Cymen Vig
cvig@raw-io.com