[Zope] Zope.Org: Not a good example...

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:45:26 -0500

The Doctor What <docwhat@gerf.org> wrote:

> I've been looking around for examples of certain objects and such.
> One simple example is a URL object.  Zope.Org *has* this object
> (Link) and it is fairly nifty, even if it isn't documented (ie, it's
> usage etc.) but I can't find the *source* for this object anywhere!
>
> All I want is to be able to have a Link object on my Zope engine,
> with possibly a minor change or two, but I can't find out where to
> get it anyplace.

The "Portal Toolkit product":http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK is
intended to play the part you are looking for.  The Zope.org site
actually runs (for the near term) off a primordial form of the PTK.
The PTK has a Link class which should be just what you are looking for
(defined as a Python filesystem module), along with a UseCase ZClass
(showing how to implement content types as ZClasses).

> This isn't the only example.  I have software that I want to
> distribute, but I can't get the source for the Software
> Product/Distribution objects either!
>
> I can get the source for DTML Documents, but it doesn't do much
> good if they make extensive use of objects that I can't get the
> source for.
>
> I would like to enter a plea for *someone* at DC/Zope.Org to fix
> this situation!

The SoftwareProduct/ProductRelease content types are *not* in the
current PTK.  I would guess that reimplementing them would require
a relatively small amount of effort;  in fact, we are planning to
do that in the relatively near future.

Tres.