[Zope] The not-very-Super user

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:12:38 -0500

> > > I notice there were some CVS checkins about renaming it to the
> > > 'emergency user'. Cool, does this mean you're going to be
> able to define
> > > a manager at install-time?
> >
> > Yes - the whole lame login-as-superuser-create-a-manager-and-relogin
> > process will be gone in 2.3. At install time you'll create a first
> > manager and just use that.
>
> Yay!
>
> As Max asked, any 2.3 timeframe? Python Scripts and no Super User alone
> make it _very_ enticing :-))

I would reeeeeaaally like to see a beta by the end of
Dec. - but don't quote me yet. Part of what I'm doing
today is figuring what the resource situation looks like.

> > He can un-screw permissions or users if you ever manage to
> > get totally locked out of your site. Think of it as a user mounted
> > in a box on the wall labeled "in case of emergency, break glass".
>
> How does this differ from a normal manager and how would you 'create a
> super user' as you descriebd in the bit I snipped?

An example might be: if somehow someone took all permissions
away from all of your managers, they'd be out of luck. The
superuser could still log in and fix that though.

I don't know the exact details of how a superuser is created
yet - I expect that you will run zpasswd.py with a special
option though (and restart). The relevant install docs will
be updated to outline this when that branch is merged.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909