[Zope] Zope vs. Enhydra

Terrel H. Shumway tshumway@octavian.ICS.UCI.EDU
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 23:09:35 -0800

Flame bait? Catch this:
I have recently been reaching the disillusionment phase with Zope, so please
take it all with several grains of salt.

I happened upon an article in the ArsDigital Systems Journal that I thought
was a fairly neutral review of Enhydra.
http://www.arsdigita.com/asj/enhydra/index.adp

The more thought-provoking part of the article was a reference to a fairly
disparaging view of application servers in general.
http://www.arsdigita.com/asj/application-servers

What got me to ArsDigita was AMK's Zope frustrations.
http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/why-not-zope.html
(BTW, some of these issuses are being addressed.)

Which also lead me to Chuck Esterbrook's musings
http://pywx.idyll.org/advocacy/why-not-zope.html
http://pywx.idyll.org/advocacy/why-not-zope-2.html

Chuck Esterbrook created webware as his answer to Zope's limitations and
complexity.  http://webware.sourceforge.net/

Titus Brown advocates use AOLserver and Python (instead of TCL)
http://pywx.idyll.org/advocacy/

IBM developerworks has a couple of Enhydra articles (which I have not read yet)
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/enhydra.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/w-friend.html?dwzone=web

In summary: Don't build what you don't need -- do the simplest thing that could
possibly work.  Evaluate potential solutions in terms of business value to
YOUR customers, not in terms of market hype.

  HTH
  -- Terrel Shumway