[Zope] rc script

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:24:47 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Tom Deprez wrote:

> I changed  daemon /usr/local/zope/start
> to  daemon su nobody /usr/local/zope/start &
>            ^^^^^^^^^				  ^
>
> and
>
> /usr/local/zope/stop
> to  su nobody /usr/local/zope/stop
>     ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Am I allowed to use 'su nobody' in an rc? And using '&' so unix can go
> further
> with loading all other modules? Can these give security risks? Is there
> another way?
>
> It also looks that 'su nobody' isn't even neseccary. Why? I want to use
> Zope with Apache, so I gave permission to nobody to start/stop Zope. How
> comes that I don't have to use 'su nobodoy'?

Tom -

the z2.py start up script will automatically set the UID to nobody if
start as root. So you do not need to explicitly set it. Another issue is
that you do not need to use daemon to start the process because the z2.py
script takes care of that too

If your start script includes the option -Z (but *not* the -D option)
then:

/usr/local/zope/start

should be sufficient. It will actually make Zope a deamon process and
supervise it too.

Pavlos