[Zope] newbie wants technology advice

danny shevitz danny_shevitz@yahoo.com
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:01:09 -0800 (PST)

Since I've had such good luck posting to Zope, I'll try this one.
I'm new to Zope and web technology but am pretty comfortable with
Python and programming in general, but don't yet know Java.

I want to put up a web page that has edit controls which appear
dynamically as needed (a clumsy list editor of sorts). A second thing I
want to do is drag and drop, but not text. I want to be able to drag
icons around and do things depending on where they are dropped.

It goes without saying that I want to do this in a Zope generated
document. So the question is, what technology do I need to do this?
Obviously static HTML isn't good enough. I doubt, but don't know if
DTML can do it. I don't want each of the drag and drop icons to be
submit buttons, because going back to the server after each drag and
drop would be unacceptably slow.

Do I need applets? Do I need Java? The sort of thing I need, but a
little more complicated is like the paste button in the Zope workspace
that dynamically appears after a cut or copy operation. I looked at the
HTML and there appears to be a reference to Java. So again, what
technology do I need to
1) make edit type controls dynamically appear
2) allow client side drag and drop of things other than text.
...And of course to do it within Zope.

thanks,
Danny