[Zope] Documentation: distributed load

Ragnar Beer rbeer@uni-goettingen.de
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:26:00 +0100

Wow! Lots of postings concerning the documentation! I liked the idea
with the news, because threads would already improve the situation
quite a lot. I tried the eGroups search but didn't like the
interface. I also tried the archive at www.progressive-comp.com but
my eyes just won't read that tiny white text on black background
without me getting a serious headache. Also the problem with threads
is that they're only threads - not topics, not much intelligence
behind them. What I love(d) so much about books like the
perl-cookbook is that you can look at the table of contents and if
you have a basic understanding of what your problem is about you will
find the solution almost instantly. I think the secret here is a well
organized table of contents (toc).

I liked the idea that I posted earlier (of course;). I think it would be great
if some people would collect all the postings concerning a certain
topic. But that would also mean a lot of work for those poor guys.

Here is another idea that I just got on my way to work. It's based on
the cookbook table of contents idea. If somebody (say DC) would
release a table of contents, i.e. a hierarchical list of topics or
catchwords, everyone could use them like this:

Let's assume a very simple toc:
dtml
     dtml-var

Now if someone wants to post a question concerning dtml-var he can
put [topic:dtml-var] somewhere in the text. Everyone receiving this
message can copy or transfer it (via filter) into the mailbox
"dtml-var". If someone who doesn't know about the toc posts a
question it's no problem as long as the ones who answer the question
do. The load of categorizing would be distributed very well. If the
toc is created thoughtfully it also serves as a mind map to zope.
Multiple catchwords per posting possible. Apart from putting together
the toc and posting it nothing would have to be done. (Perhaps later
a squishdot-lile interface could be built.)

Sorry, this has become quite long. What do you think about it?

Ragnar