[Zope] Python Method

Phil Harris phil.harris@zope.co.uk
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:06:41 -0000

To my understanding the security model applied to Python Methods does not
allow you to access files that sit on the 'real' filesystem.

It would be a *huge* security hole to allow this.

You are going to have to use an external method to accomplish what you
desire.

HTH

phil
phil.haris@zope.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of Pedro
Silva
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2000 11:46 AM
To: Zope - Questions
Subject: [Zope] Python Method

Hi,

Someone has told me that if I wanted to access object in the filesystem, I
had to use External Methods instead of use the local filesystem Zope
Product.

When I was seeing something in python, to can write the code, I went to the
zope page and I discorery a Product that is like the External Method, that
product was the Python Method that let us write the code python and let us
access to the filesystem as the same way as the External Method.

What I wanted is that, if someone as tryed this product, or External Method,
because the code un Python is the same, if can help me in one thing.

I have one folder in the filesystem that I want to access. I'm using the
OPEN, to can open the folder and I want to read the content of that folder.
The code line is like:

       f = open('var/spool/news/articles','r')

But unfortanelly, when I reun this and the rest of the code, it gives me a
Syntax Error. I think that the error may be in this code line, because the
otherones are correct. Can anyone tell me a way to access the content of the
folder access?

The other problem that I have is, I want to search in some text, that it is
too in the filesystem, for some words. For example: I want to find in that
file, the word From: and when he founds the word, he has to write the text
after to a variable. The code that I'm using is:

     for lines in f.readline():
          if string.find(line,'Form:'):
                 from=lines
     return from

Is this code correct?

If anyone could help me, that would be great!!! This is urgent, please send
your answer to: psilva@ruido-visual.pt

Thanks,

Pedro Silva