[Zope] PIL/Photo Product win32 installation?

Andrew Lahser andrew@apl-software.com
10 Feb 2000 14:52:17 -0000

 Darran Edmundson <dee124@rsphy1.anu.edu.au> said:

 > I just read a slew of month-old posts on EGroups about
 > my exact question ... but to no avail.  I installed
 > PIL in the $(ZopeDir)/lib/python/Products/Photo directory.

 On WinNT I have PIL installed in lib/python/PIL
 I have the _imaging.dll and other PIL .dll files copied
 into this directory. Also, from the python Win32 binary
 distribution, I have copied the following .dll files into
 my PIL directory.

 tcl80.lib
 tcl80.dll
 tchsh80.exe
 tclpip80.dll
 tk80.lib
 wish80.exe
 tk80.dll

 Be sure that the PIL _tkinter.dll file is also included in your
 PIL directory. Admittedly, Photo doesn't use tcl/tk for anything,
 but I don't want the trouble of compiling PIL from source on WinNT.
 Call me lazy.

 If you want, I can zip up my PIL directory and send it to
 you privately. I had considered packaging PIL with Photo, but
 PIL has a couple of shortcomings. Presently, I am strongly leaning
 towards integrating Photo with Imagemagick. So far, no one has
 objected.

 > If I leave PIL's default __init__.py (empty) then the
 > Photo Product is not "broken" but creating a Photo
 > instance dies with "Attribute error - Image" in photo.py.

 This is because PIL does not come as a python package by default.
 When importing PIL into Zope, python raises a name error because
 the PIL Image object conflicts with the Zope Image object.

 > If I instead follow the instructions and copy the __init__.py
 > distributed with the Photo Product in the install_PIL
 > subdirectory then the product is broken with the previously
 > reported "_imaging" dll error.  PIL works fine with my non-Zope
 > python so its got to be a configuration error.  Help from
 > one of the many who have faced this problem (and conquered
 > it) is much appreciated.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Darran.

 Cheers,