[Zope] Products breaking other Products?

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:06:30 -0500

I just encountered a problem which scares me to some extent.  I have
developed my own product with my own set of ZClasses.  In my Products
folder I had my product, some other products and the PTKBase product.  The
version of the PTK was from a couple of weeks ago (or so).  Yesterday I
retrieved the latest PTK stuff from the CVS repository and updated the
contents of my products directory with this version of PTK.  Suddenly
existing instances of ZClasses that I had created previously, were
appearing as broken.  They apparently couldn't find their product.  I was
confused by this, because I was able to add new instances of my
ZClasses.  After posting a message to the zope mailing list, I received a
reply which suggested that perhaps a product unrelated to my product was
causing a problem.  Having nothing else to lose, I replaced my PTKBase with
the old version of PTKBase.  After restarting Zope my broken ZClasses were
once again functioning.

My question is this, why should a product unrelated to my product cause
problems with my ZClasses?  I feel a bit uncomfortable with the notion that
one product can seemingly affect another.  I don't believe any of my code
relied on anything relating to the PTK.  Can someone explain what might
have happened?

Thanks.

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html