[Zope] Zope Server Performance and Scalability

Guy Davis davis@arc.ab.ca
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:22:18 -0700

I set up a Zope 2.12 server on a PentiumPro 200 with 64MB running RH6.1
Linux.  Currently I am using Apache with pcgi to handle the initial
requests and MySQL for Zope's database for bug tracking and other apps.

I have been asked to defend my choice of Linux over WinNT.  This server
will be used by approximately 50 people who will mostly make use of the
document management abilities of Zope and run occasional database
queries.

If we assume heavy use from all 50 people, can Zope handle the loads
easily?  What kind of numbers (hits/second, etc.) can others report to
help me back up my claim that it can?  I understand that Zope is
significantly slower than MS SiteServer, but for our needs is it not
more than sufficient?

My next question is the same but for up to 500 users. There is a small
possibility that Zope may be used corporate wide rather than just for
our local business units.  This would likely require more serious
hardware?  What level?  At what point does it become necessary to move
to the Zope Enterprise Option?

Also, what has been your experience with Zope's reliability on Linux?
Has anyone been in a backup recovery situation?  Was it difficult
getting Zope working again from a nightly archive?

This is a lot of questions but I really appreciate anyone who takes the
time to answer them.
--
       Guy Davis    mailto:davis@arc.ab.ca
  (403) 210-5334    Alberta Research Council