[Zope] Zope Server Performance and Scalability

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:54:19 -0700

"J. Atwood" wrote:

> I have been testing and asking about this for a month now and here is what I
> found.
>
> I have a Pentium 133 with 96 MB running RH 6.0, Apache, Zope and whole bunch
> of Java development applications (it is loaded). It has about 10 development
> servers on it only one of which is Zope. I have a home page which is the
> same one as one on a NT 4.0, SQL 6.5 box (not sure about specs but am sure
> it is high end). I have run queries through 95,000 records, reloaded the
> home page hundreds of times and run smaller queries over and over again.
> What I found is that the NT box is only faster when it comes to the big 95K
> select. I can load the Zope homepage about five times to every once on the
> NT. The small queries are just as fast.

Yeah, sounds like my 133. :)
The RAM is certainly one of your limiting factors.

> I am moving to a production box for Zope that will be a 300 PII, 256 RAM, 6
> GB drive running just Apache (I am thinking proxy pass) and Zope with
> PostGreSQL. I will be testing all aspects of site when I get it up and
> running by this weekend and will report back.

One of my servers has a near identical setup, and performs _very_ well.
Faster than every NT server running roughly comparibly scripting the
windows side of the shop has thrown at it has done. :)

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.