[Zope] Versions and FTP (was Re: [Zope] Zope versions and Emacs)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:46:05 +0000

> The DC folks had some comments on this a ways back (check the list archives)
> and the conclusion was that the FTP protocol just didn't have the support
> built in for Zope's more sophisticated management capabilities.

Two ideas to solve this:

Firstly, have top level 'folders' in zope representing each version. Since
changes you make lock files to a version no matter where the version object is
stored, this makes sense to me, but then I may just not understand the
significance of the version object's location.

Secondly, doing an ftp 'get' on a version object could make you join that
version, while a 'put' on that object, or a closed connection, could make you
leave it.

The second option is a bit hacky in operation, but probably easier to implement
than the first...

my $0.02

Chris