[Zope] zope for webhosting

Matthew Parslow matt@umd.com.au
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:01:55 +1100

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> i'm trying to convince my webhosting service that zope is a good thing.
> The guy there has some concern.  Could anyone help me to convince him,
> or are his concerns valid?  Is anyone using zope in this kind of
> multiuser environment?
ZOPE does not allow you to access the server except with external methods.
the only way you can install an external method is to log onto that machine and
do it manually. ZOPE does not run "CGI"s, it just passes the cgi request
information to the script.
so their concerns are unfounded :-)

> > The main issue is security -- we have to be able to run each user-supplied
> > program with the UID of the user who owns it.  If all user-supplied
> > applications run with the same UID (the UID of a server, or of some
> > pseudo-user), that would be a problem which would most probably prevent us
> > from being able to implement this safely in a multi-user environment.  We
> > run all CGIs with user UIDs, but zope's architecture may circumvent that,
> > even when run as a CGI, judging from what I've read so far.

Regards,
Matthew Parslow