[Zope] Python object lifecycle? (was Re: [Zope] Where to put business logic? logic?

Jerry Spicklemire jerry@spicklemire.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:25:16 -0500

Not to start a "what IS client server?" discussion (I thought we got past
that in the last millenium), but it looks to me like Zope IS the middle
layer.

In terms of layers, the browser "front end" handles presentation (client),
the "back-end" (data server, host) is an RDB, or CD tower (of image files),
or whatever, then the integration layer "middle" is Zope. It really doesn't
change whether you call it "middleware", "application server", "content
manager", etc.

In other words, Zope is where you get to build in the business logic, as
objects, and find relief from the narrow bounds of SQL. Of course, the Zope
layer can be fairly complex and is subject to being defined as having
multiple layers within itself, but that's another thread.