[Zope] structured text with <dtml> tags?

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 01:21:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Jonothan Farr wrote:

<snipped interesting modifications ...>

> The list of modifications is getting so extensive and I'm getting so dependent
> on them that I'm thinking about creating my own structured text product,
> StructuredTextPlus or something like that. Especially since DC has told me
> that my patches probably won't be accepted through no fault of the patches.

Sometimes it is difficult to justify new features though I think that the
bugs you mentioned should be corrected. In any case I think it would be a
good idea to have a StructuredTextPlus module and maintain it seperately.
IMHO it should be rewritten completely but I think Jim Fulton chose that
particular design for performance reasons. I do not expect any major
changes to the official StructuredText module so maintaining a new version
would not be very difficult. If you want I can send you my patches for
simple table support (and a few other bug fixes) and add them to your
StructuredTextPlus ( if you haven't realised it yet you are now the
official StructuredTextPlus maintainer ;-) ). Tables are currently entered
as:

- A paragraph that has blocks of text enclosed in '||' is treated as a
  table. The text blocks correspond to table cells and table rows are
  denoted by newlines. By default the cells are center aligned. A cell
  can span more than one column by preceding a block of text with an
  equivalent number of cell separators '||'. Newlines and '|' cannot
  be a part of the cell text. For example:
      |||| **Ingredients** ||
      || *Name* || *Amount* ||
      ||Spam||10||
      ||Eggs||3||
  is interpreted as::
    <TABLE BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=2>
     <TR>
      <TD ALIGN=CENTER COLSPAN=2> <strong>Ingredients</strong> </TD>
     </TR>
     <TR>
      <TD ALIGN=CENTER COLSPAN=1> <em>Name</em> </TD>
      <TD ALIGN=CENTER COLSPAN=1> <em>Amount</em> </TD>
     </TR>
     <TR>
      <TD ALIGN=CENTER COLSPAN=1>Spam</TD>
      <TD ALIGN=CENTER COLSPAN=1>10</TD>

And in case you need PDF output for your structuredtext docs, I have
writen a Zope product which you can get from www.zope.org/Members/gaaros

Regards

Pavlos