[Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #647 - 61 msgs

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:18:35 -0600

"WorldPilot Helpers" <helpers@worldpilot.org> replied:

> Hi Tres,
>
> > I have installed WP 1.01 on a fresh Zope 2.1.3.  On the same RH 6.1 box,
> > I am running the stock imapd, which I can connect to from Netscape's
> > Messenger.
> >
> > The files/directories under /var/spool/worldpilot are owned by nobody.zope
> > (I start Zope as root).
>
> Watch out that you don't get fresh created files, that are owned
> by Zope while zope is starting up and is still running as root. In
> general this doesn't happen unless some folders would be missing, and are
> recreated.  If you start zope with it's own uid/gid you'll prevent running
> into this issue.
>

> > When I log in, the browser spins after displaying the WP headers.  top on
> > the server shows the Zope python process (running as nobody) and an imapd
> > process (running as me) sucking all the CPU, but nothing happens.
> >
> > If I click on one of the links in the header, I can see the calendar,
> > to-do list, etc., but the mail pane shows a Zope error, with "readonly --
> > INBOX" at the foot of the traceback.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> It looks like the imaplib.py your zope is importing hasn't been
> patched yet. stock imaplib.py has a bug, that results in an infinite
> loop. patching it should solve your problem.

I replaced the imaplib.py in $ZOPE_HOME/lib/python15/ with the one from the WP
tarball before trying this.  I tried running python from the command line on my
Zope host like this:

 >>> import imaplib
 >>> box = imaplib.IMAP4()
 >>> box.login( 'someID', 'xxxPass' )
 >>> box.list()

which hangs.

 >>> box.list( '~/Mail' )

doesn't, however, which makes me think that the first one is trying to walk my
whole directory tree, building up a list!?!  I'm going to try

> concerning the readonly INBOX folder using UW IMAP server, I've heard
> from other users that this appears on some versions of UW IMAP and
> some not? We're not using UW IMAP (yet), we use Cyrus.

This is actually because the first attempt (the "LIST / *") was still running,
and so blocked the second request (the mailbox was locked?)  I'm going to try Jo
Meder's posted fix (configure WU IMAP to search for mail in a special directory,
and symlink the appropriate bits there).

> Maybe somebody else using UW IMAP has figured out what the issue is
> there and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Tres.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582