[Zope] Blocking download of files...

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:19:29 -0800

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 00:06:44 +0100
Juri Jensen <juri@jones.dk> wrote:

> Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to block the abillity to
> download objects of type file (e.g. right-clicking on a file and
> choose "Save Link as...")?

No.  Pragmatically, there is no difference between the two.

> I'm asking because I have a site with PDF-files, which I want the
> users to read through their webbrowser (via the PDF-plugin), but
> not to download.

Please realise that many users don't have a PDF viewer plug-in, and
that a great many of us that do, have disabled it in favour of an
external helper application.  Even better, it is triviality itself
to write a simple shell script that pretends to be a "helper
application" that does nothing but save its data stream to a file,
and thus acts identically to the "Save to file" method.

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder@kanga.nu