[Zope] is dtml-in doing a dtml-with? How do I turn off that behaviour?

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.com
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 18:00:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Kevin Meinert wrote:

> Thinking more about my problem I mailed before...
> Maybe dtml-in is actually doing a dtml-with on each of the
> "objectValues(['DTML Method'])".

Yes and no. dtml-in actually makes each object in the iteration sequence
part of the namespace. For instance (untested):
<dtml-in objectValues>
</dtml-in>

<dtml-in objectIds>
<dtml-with sequence-item>
</dtml-with>
</dtml-in>

are equivalent.

<dtml-in> does not 'do' anything to the objects in the sequence, it is
objectValues that does the job, by returning a sequence of objects.
objectIds however returns just their ids.

> Is there a reference manual out there that gives _real_ documentation
> of structured dtml?  All I've found is sketchy examples.  I want a
> very thourough/rigorus examination of every feature and every
> parameter of every dtml tag (namly dtml-in for now).  You find this
> quality of documentation in some software API's.  I can't seem to
> find anything even close for Zope.

Extra parameters aside, the dtml-in tag behaves like a python for loop.
Probably you can find descriptions of the extra parameters in the Zope
Quick Reference as well as descriptions of objectIds,objectValues etc
http://www.zope.org/Members/ZQR

Pavlos