[Zope] Fourth request for help - Win2K+Zope

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:12:06 +0100

From: "Michael Simcich" <msimcich@accesstools.com>
> Hi Martijn -
>
> I work with MS tools and OS all day long. Believe me I know the way that
> those products are a house of cards.
>
> And thanks for posting about the debugger. I just kept hitting 's' and
> eventually I got:
>
> (Pdb) s
> > z2.py(441)?()
> -> import ZServer
> (Pdb) s
> NameError: 'Case mismatc...ope\\zserver)'
> > z2.py(441)?()
> -> import ZServer
> (Pdb) s
> > C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\exceptions.py(65)__init__()
> -> def __init__(self, *args):
> (Pdb) s
> > C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\exceptions.py(66)__init__()
> -> self.args = args
> (Pdb) s
> --Return--
> > C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\exceptions.py(66)__init__()->None
> -> self.args = args
> (Pdb) s
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "z2.py", line 441, in ?
>     import ZServer
> NameError> C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\exceptions.py(68)__str__()
> -> def __str__(self):
> (Pdb) s
> > C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\exceptions.py(69)__str__()
> -> if not self.args:
> (Pdb) s
> > C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\exceptions.py(71)__str__()
> -> elif len(self.args) == 1:
> (Pdb) s
> > C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\exceptions.py(72)__str__()
> -> return str(self.args[0])
> (Pdb) s
> --Return--
> > C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\exceptions.py(72)__str__()->'Case
> mismatc...ope\\z
> server)'
> -> return str(self.args[0])
> (Pdb) s
> : Case mismatch for module name ZServer
> (filename E:\zope\zserver)
>
> E:\zope>
>
> This is what we were looking for... the case mismatch was a clue. I
> remembered that after installing zope on this machine the Zope dir was
> called ZOPE (uppercase) for some reason (I didn't request that). I
> innocently renamed it to zope with explorer. So I tried two things to fix
> it. First I renamed the existing zope dir to zopex and ran a fresh install
> into a new zope dir. After that I searched the registry for zope and found
> one line that had
>
> "E:\ZOPE\BIN\LIB\WIN32\PYTHON~1.EXE"
>
> which I switched to lowercase. Now Zope runs fine <g>. I don't know if
both
> of these items were required but I'm reporting them to you just in case
they
> are. I'm kind of surprised that case sensitivity enters in here, I know
it's
> important in the unix realms, but didn't think it would carry over here.
In
> any case it works now.

I am glad that this is solved. I ponder at the case-sensitivity though.
Maybe Python doesn't detect the OS properly? I am not fully sure as to how
Python decides when to ignore case, but it is clearly broken on your Win2k
install. Also, the lack of error messages was very vexing and confusing.

This combination may lead to more problems. The case-sensitivity could crop
up elsewhere, and fail silently again, thus breaking other parts of Zope, or
Zope Products. You may want to contact some Python mongers about this,
altough I am not immediatly sure as to who. Maybe you should check out the
python.org webpage for some hints and links.

Martijn Pieters