[Zope] Product Related Questions

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:35:08 -0500

Recently I created a new product in the Products folder.  When I first
created the product, I didn't have any python code so I didn't create a
directory for the product in the Products directory.  I simply used the
"Add" button from the Products folder to create a new product.  I then
populated my Product with a couple of ZClasses.

Yesterday I decided that I needed a new ZClass with a new Python base.  I
then created a directory under Products which had the same name as my
Product.  I added an __init__.py and a file containing my Python base
class.  In the __init__, I added my new Python class as a base class.  I
restarted Zope and expected to be able to add a new ZClass with a base
class of my new base class.  However, my base class didn't show up in the
list.  I looked at my Products directory and noticed that my python code
had been compiled, so I knew that something happened.  I tried a couple of
different things and the base class never showed up.  Finally, I moved my
python code to a new directory and restarted.  This time, a new product
showed up in the Products list and my base class was now visible.  My
question is why?  Why didn't things work when I created a directory in
Products which matched a current Product name?

On a related issue, I wanted to export my product so that I could import it
into another Zope installation.  However, my product doesnt have an
"import/export" tab.  Instead it has a "Distribution" tab.  Using the
Distribution tab, I can create a .tar file which includes an __init__.py, a
product.dat and a version file.  How do you use a distribution?  Why can't
I export my Product?  If I add a new Product to the list, why doesn't Zope
automatically create a subdirectory under Products to accommodate potential
Python extensions?

Thanks.

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html