[Zope] wish list for zope in the new century

Wei Tao taow@bd748.pku.edu.cn
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 14:24:17 +0800

Patrick Phalen wrote:
> I agree with all your items, except for #6.
>
> Without Digital Creations, we wouldn't have Zope. Without a thriving
> Digital Creations, we can't expect to have that resource staffed with
> such extraordinary people. DC is a business and their business model
> relies on charging for value added.
>
> ZEO as a value added commercial product seems perfectly fair; ZEO
> requires a good deal of intervention by DC to properly architect and
> set up. Any Web-based business successful enough to have need for
> what it brings shouldn't cry too much about paying for that expertise.
> Name another alternative with the same functionality which is
> completely free. ;>)

OK, I agree. ( IMHO, I can reach most of scalability and fail tolerance
through Linux Virtual Server Project and a RDBMS cluster, so I don't care
much of it. :> )

Maybe I should change #6 with:

6'. new ZODBs can be built and used.
  Now all of system data, template, sql, user data, and all of web contents
  are stored in ONE ZODB file. It sounds not a good idea.
  There are two ways for adding new ZODBs:
  One way user can build new ZODB and use it like a new gadfly database;
  another way user can build new ZODB and mount it into the site tree.
  I hope that zope can reach it without ZEO :)

7'. ZODB support changing values in place, not only append a new copy;
  Check the ZCounter product you will see the reason. Not every change of
  vars' value need to be recorded, especially most of integer value.

IMHO, ZEO couldn't reach its prime time until zope supports #6' & #7' and
users use ZODB as a serious place to store infomation.