[Zope] IE 4/5 error

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 04:10:52 -0500

> Hi again,
>
> As you may have been able to tell from the voluminous
> quantity of posts
> I have been making, I'm working on a rather large project. It
> is mostly
> complete, and I am sitting at my client's getting everything installed
> on their servers.
>
> I had an interesting problem crop up.
>
> Using IE 4 in testing at work I put in the URL
> http://192.168.10.1:8080/FWF_Scale and got the index_html document
> displayed correctly, but the minute I attempted to load a
> different doc
> Zope told me it could not find the requested doc.
>
> They have IE 5 here, so I tried it here, but instead of using
> the IP, I
> put in the server name as it is setup in hosts. I get the same error
> using both the short server name fwf1:8080 and the long server name
> fwf1.farwestfibers.com.
>
> I came back to my notebook  running NS 4.61 under Linux and
> all works as
> it should. Navigator under Win 98 also works correctly.
>
> I understand that most open sourcers don't particularly like MS
> products, but I didn't think they broke them on purpose! <wink>

I cannot connecct to that server, so I cannot diagnose your problem.

Gennerally, IE is very precise at interpreting the HTTP standard. It is
quite probable that your app has an error somewhere that Netscape
glosses over.

One way to you could diagnose this, is by using a HTTP tracer like
TracePlus32 Web Detective (a demo can be downloaded from
http://www.sstinc.com/) which will show you exactly what Netscape and
Explorer send over the wire, and what answers Zope gives. This is much
easier than using a telnet session and typing in your HTTP requests
manually. It should at least show you what faulty requests IE sends, and
from there interpret how IE comes to the conclusion it should send those
requests.

How this helps

--
Martijn Pieters, Software Engineer