[Zope] zope tutorials

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pop.pitt.edu
Fri, 07 Jan 2000 12:40:36 -0500

on 1/7/00 10:40 AM, Nico Grubert at nico@beehive.de wrote:

> we are trying to gather topics for future tutorials.
> If there is anything specific you always wanted to know please outline
> your suggestions.
> The topic should be big enough to fill 20-40 pages including examples of
> code, screenshots etc.

I'd be interested in seeing a detailed example of how to set up an
interactive system that maintained user identity, state and history, such as
a shopping cart application which allows review of past transactions. The
tutorial should clearly lay out the flow of data from, e.g., cookies on the
user's browser, through DTML methods, though calls to python code, to
storage and retrieval of data from the object DB. It should also illustrate
the correct use and advantages of tools like ZClasses and catalogs.

It would also be helpful to have an appendix that illustrated how to extend
a currently functional system. For example, how to add a set of new fields
to a system with data already in it. It would be a nice wrapup if the
tutorial could illustrate how to export the system as a product.

Jim Harrison
Univ. of Pittsburgh