[Zope] SiteAccess comments, anyone?

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Sat, 08 Jan 2000 10:13:12 PST

Hi,

One of the most trivial requests that every
newbie asks is how to publish their html
files stored on their local file system.
Right now Zope simply CANNOT do that!

(You can upload things via FTP, but then
it's a pain to synchronize changes. I know,
you can write a python method to do that,
you can even use cron to automatically
update things, add/delete objects inside
your ZODB, etc. etc. But then, I would
be a newbie-no-more.) :)

Another thing is: one mights to upload
files for people to download (things like
.exe, .tgz, .tar.gz, .zip, etc.), but
right now you have to upload them all into
ZODB and make your data.fs file so so big.
It would also be ideal if these files could
be stored in the file system yet accessible
through Zope and HTTP protocol. (Not FTP
protocol.)

I was looking into SiteAcess, and I think
it is a VERY important component of Zope
and that it should become part of Zope. In
fact, virtual hosting a.k.a. RewriteRule
is so important, that I don't understand
why Zope still doesn't have it and how
people can survive without it. Virtual
hosting opens a door of endless possibilities.

Here is the URL:

http://www.zope.org/Members/4am/SiteAccess/info

But the version number now is barely 0.2.0
and I feel uncomfortable to be a guinea pig. :)
Is there a time estimate for the release of
version 1.0.0?

There is a comment from Michel Pelletier that
in Zope 2.2 there will be virtual hosting. Is
there any time estimate for the release of
Zope 2.2.0?

regards,

Hung Jung