[Zope] Installing Zope as nonroot user (was: Zope-dev ZFormulator review...)

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:36:17 -0800

[Chris McDonough, on Sat, 08 Jan 2000]
:: So, while it seems advisable to untar Zope as a nonroot user (so your
:: files don't end up getting owned by one of the Pelletier clan -- pretty
:: funny!), I don't think it's a requirement to install Zope (via "python
:: w_pcgi.py") as root if you want to serve Zope content from Apache using
:: PCGI.  I've done the equivalent under Netscape Enterprise Server, too,
:: and it works.  I haven't set up Zope using FastCGI, so I have to claim
:: utter ignorance there.

Heh. OK, I think we're talking about two different uses of the word
"install" (and far be it from me, btw, to disagree about Zope
installation with someone who has "digicool.com" in their email
address). ;>)  ... but ...

... in my comment, I was simply reacting to the following
excerpt from Zope/doc/INSTALL.txt:

"""
4. In the Zope directory is a shell script named 'install'.
   This script will configure your Zope installation.

   If you plan to use Zope with your existing web server
   environment, the install script *should be run as root*!
"""

You had said, "This is a pretty good argument against installing Zope
itself as the root user." and I was thinking that might mislead people.