[Zope] Installing Zope as nonroot user (was: Zope-dev ZFormulator review...)

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Sat, 08 Jan 2000 22:50:21 -0500

Oh wow.  Shows you how much I install from the binary release!

To my great shame, I'm not really all that sure why the binary release
install doc says (and emphasizes) that.  Installing the Zope binary
release as a nonroot user and using PCGI with Apache is very doable (I
just did it to make sure).  There's probably Something I Don't Know
related to FastCGI or maybe even another webserver (too many
variables!!).  Amos?

Personally, installing Zope as root kinda gives me the creeps.  I don't
like having to go reset the var directory and file permissions.  We seem
to get a lot of questions about this on the mailing list that get
glossed over by telling people to go reset the permissions on var and
the files contained within, but to me, it's simpler and more graceful
just to install Zope as the user under which you intend to run it
(usually "nobody") when intended inherited install directory permissions
permit.  One potential problem with installing Zope as a nonroot user
(I've run into it) is that when you set up an rc script to start Zope on
boot, because the rc script gets run as root, Zope goes pretty much
haywire for reasons which are nonobvious and that I didn't spend the
time to fully go figure out.  Suffice to say that (on Linux at least) it
doesn't work.

And while it might be inadvisable to disagree with, for example, Jim
Fulton (as he will *always* instantly reduce people of average
intelligence to a quivering mass of gel in a battle of programming
know-how or logic) or Amos Latteier (as he consistently demonstrates an
uncanny ability to be right about 100% of the time) or Martijn Pieters
(I think I've seen him be wrong *once* in a list message), I am just
another schlub.  Disagreeing with me is almost *always* a wise move.  :)

--
Chris McDonough
Digital Creations, Inc.