[Zope] using zope for broadcast e-mail messages...

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 16:07:44 +0800

>Why not use ZClient to make the request to do the mailout?
>It can just happily sit there for half a day (or whatever) chugging
>along, without screwing up if your browser goes away.

Have considered it : but a script employing ZClient takes
me back to python scripts (which I already have).
Admittedly, Zope + ZClient would make it easier to manage
than my current system but it would still require me
initiating this by logging in via ssh.

What I didn't mention is that I'm incredibly lazy and am
currently the bottleneck in our company for mailing news-
-letters. :(

I wish to create a system (hopefully around Zope) so that our
content-author or editor can write the newsletter, paste it
into a textarea in a form, add a subject line and hit "send".
It will then start to be sent to the 200,000+ members.
Then the said content-author could check back regularly to see
the status (again via a web-page).

But you've got me thinking (which is always a start), Anthony,
perhaps the following will work :

1. Rewrite my scripts to use ZClient.. I can continue
   to initialize this from the shell for the time being.
   This  script already logs the progress in case of crash.

2. Add a web-interface to it using os.popen or something
   equally kludgy.

I'll play with that until better ideas come along - but it
seems like a useful product to build properly so I do welcome
any input regarding features etc.

Thank you,

chas