[Zope] Help with PIL / Photo product

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 20:13:44 -0500

PYTHONPATH is the environment variable that gets set that tells Python
where to search for modules (.py files) when you do an "import
modulename".  When an "import" is done in Python, it looks through the
module directories one-by-one within the ones specificed in PYTHONPATH.
Zope does a lot of "import"s.  As a matter of fact, the way it loads
product modules is by "import"ing them.

__init__.py is a file that tells Python that the current directory is a
Python "package", meaning that you can do things like:

>>> import PIL.Image

when "\Zope\lib\python\OFS" is in the PYTHONPATH and theres a directory
named PIL inside "OFS" which contains an __init__.py.  PIL isn't really
a module, and generally when you try to "import PIL.Image", Python will
try to find a file named "PIL.py" and an attribute (class, def,
variablename) named "Image" (e.g. "class Image:") within that module.
In our case, however, PIL is a directory and Image is a module.  We need
__init__.py to turn PIL into a "package", even though its totally blank.

What is the traceback on the broken product?

--
Chris McDonough
Digital Creations, Inc.