[Zope] freaky folder

Denny Valliant valliant@unm.edu
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:52:15 -0700

Hey all,

    I wrote the list yesterday about a zope problem that I'm having.  A
couple of people responded, but I still haven't been able to solve the prob.
I have been able to get a little more specific idea of what's wrong.
Hopefully someone can HELP ME!!! =)

This is what is wrong:

    I have a folder that has a BUNCH of sql methods, couple of dtml pages,
and a bunch of plain ol' methods. In my old install of zope, I can get in
and mess around in the folder, no prob. I see all the methods, etc.

    Now I get new web server, a wild hair up my ass, and I decide "hey!
wouldn't it be neat if I could upgrade to the latest ver of zope when I
switch it over? YEAH!!" So I convert the old db, import it into the new ver
of zope, and everything looks copasetic. I check my site, and the database
is working right, it's serving up the content right, heck, I... am...
stoked!!!

    Then I get into the management area.  I log in as superuser (like I've
always done), and  everything looks fine... until I try to get into my
training/centers/manager folder. "That's-when-things-got-out-of-control", to
coin a phrase from song I like.
    Instead of showing me the methods, etc., that are in the folder, it
brings up the standard_header web page in the frame where its SUPPOSED to be
showing me the list of methods, etc.
    That is the problem.  Doesn't seem that complicated, (I think. ha ha)
it's gotta be just some funky conversion error, or some such.

Here are the things I've tried:

    First, I tried copying and renaming the folder in my OLD zope db, and
then exporting the old db to the new zope db again.  No dice. (I was
thinking maybe since the name of the folder is 'manager', there is something
funky going on.)
    So that didn't work.  I really tried all kinds of ways of exporting the
damn folder.  I tried copying the methods into other folders, and exporting
them, and that worked, but there are WAY TOO MANY to piecemeal them, one by
one, into another folder (like 70 or so... maybe not WAY, but still too
many, if I can help it). and I still wouldn't know what was originally
wrong. (its something that bugs me... not knowing why bugs do what they do,
and just going around them. Sometimes they have a way of jumping out at you
when you least expect it. =)
    Annywaze... Nick G. recommended messing with UserDb a little.  I tried
clearing cookies, logging in as different users, and logging in from
different machines.  Still no dice. I've copied and pasted the folder within
the new zope db, (it copies fine) but it don't matter, every time I go into
even a copied and renamed folder, it does the same thing.

    I'm thinking this must be a conversion issue, which in my mind isn't
that bad, since I can piecemeal the damn methods, etc, into a new directory
and THEN export 'em, if I *have* to, and this won't come back to haunt me.
    The scary thing for me is, I don't *know* its a conversion issue, and it
would suck to piecemeal the crap only to find it was something else causing
the freaky folder nature.

    If, even with this longer description, know one knows what is happening
here... well...  oh well, I guess.
    But it would be neat if someone says "oh, NOW I know what your talking
about! All ya gotta do is click on the 'fix error' button in the upper left
hand corner!" could happen, right? right!?! =)

Thanks for yall's help ennywaze though. Expecially Nick and Michel. You two
were quick with suggestions, even though this is obviously just a
'newbie-ish' error (I hope) .

-ps if it IS some easy answer, please email me personally... I wouldn't want
the whole list to know how retarded I really am. =) Thanks.