[Zope] SQL7 connector?

Sun, 16 Jan 2000 18:29:14 +1100

>>> Chris McDonough wrote
> SQL Server 7 uses a different protocol than SQL Server 6.5 or Sybase
> 10.X/11.X so the Sybase adapter won't work against SQL Server 7...

> I have heard rumors of a switch deep in the bowels of SQL Server 7 that
> allows it to run using the old protocol, but no confirmation.

My understanding of it is that as long as you don't use any SQL7 specific
features, you'll be ok.

You might also want to check out FreeTDS (www.freetds.org) - note that
currently it is not multi-thread safe, so you can either:
hack the SybaseDA to do the Thunk hackery lock thing, or
run zope with -t 1 to make it single threaded (performance lossage)

The easiest thing to do would be to just download the Sybase libraries
for linux (note that you'll need 11.9.2, not the old 11.0.3 version),
and give it a go. See my howto at
http://www.zope.org/Members/anthony/dcSybase-on-linux

Anthony