[Zope] RE: Oracle or PostGreSQL connection pool

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.russ.ru
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:20:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Nemeth Miklos wrote:
> >    I have an Oracle database, and by design every user that logs into the
> > site will be connected to the DB with his/her login/password (that is,
> > his/her Oracle login/password is the same as for WWW).
> >
> It sounds strange. Orcale is very poor of managing connections. The
> entire transaction process monitor (TPM) business earns of its revenue
> from this fact. A TPM (just like ZOracleDA) uses its own
> username/password to connect to a database. This is the only way to
> maintain an efficient connection pooling strategy.
> I am very curios of your rationale of thinking of this usage of Oracle.

   Not my solution, but database programmers/admins.

> >    I am considering using Zope for the site, but the question is - how can
> > I create one ZOracleDA connection for every user, and how can I use diferent
> > connections for different users?
> >
> I do not understand. If you want to use a separate connection for each
> user, you will not have any pool.
> I think we can speak of a pool when each connection in the pool has the
> same database(SID)/user/password.
> I'd really interested in your goals with this architecture.

   Currently there are a number of CGIs. Every CGI reads login/password
from cookies, connects to the database, does its job and disconnects (and
update cookie expiration time). I want to avoid this
connection/disconnection. So I think to have a server (home-grown or Zope)
which opens connectins for every user and leave it open for a longer time.

> I read a lot of your mails, Oleg, and I liked them very much, you must

   Thanks! :)

> have some trick here :-).

   They (DB programmers/admins) calls it "security".

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd@phd.russ.ru