[Zope] Re: Oracle or PostGreSQL connection pool

Nemeth Miklos nemeth@iqsoft.hu
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:07:02 +0100

Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> > >    I am considering using Zope for the site, but the question is - how can
> > > I create one ZOracleDA connection for every user, and how can I use diferent
> > > connections for different users?
> > >
> > I do not understand. If you want to use a separate connection for each
> > user, you will not have any pool.
> > I think we can speak of a pool when each connection in the pool has the
> > same database(SID)/user/password.
> > I'd really interested in your goals with this architecture.
>
>    Currently there are a number of CGIs. Every CGI reads login/password
> from cookies, connects to the database, does its job and disconnects (and
> update cookie expiration time). I want to avoid this
> connection/disconnection. So I think to have a server (home-grown or Zope)
> which opens connectins for every user and leave it open for a longer time.

Now I know! I think building a pooling server for this architecture is a big job
and the outcom may not deseve the effort.

> > have some trick here :-).
>
>    They (DB programmers/admins) calls it "security".

Sounds interesting. Database usernames and passwords stored in cookies. I worked
for a telecom corporation last year as a "programmer", if I'd just even mention
this to the system administrator responsible of data and intenret security of this
corp, he would surely bite off my head.

NM