[Zope] Re: Oracle or PostGreSQL connection pool

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.russ.ru
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:24:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Nemeth Miklos wrote:
> >    Currently there are a number of CGIs. Every CGI reads login/password
> > from cookies, connects to the database, does its job and disconnects (and
> > update cookie expiration time). I want to avoid this
> > connection/disconnection. So I think to have a server (home-grown or Zope)
> > which opens connectins for every user and leave it open for a longer time.
> >

> Now I know! I think building a pooling server for this architecture is a big job

   Sure! That's why I consider to use Zope and hack special kind of
connection.

> and the outcom may not deseve the effort.

   It is arguable...

> >    They (DB programmers/admins) calls it "security".
> >

> Sounds interesting. Database usernames and passwords stored in cookies. I worked

   Nice point. Of course, I think about it all the time.

> for a telecom corporation last year as a "programmer", if I'd just even mention
> this to the system administrator responsible of data and intenret security of this
> corp, he would surely bite off my head.

   I think I'll do a kind of "session", and will store session data
somewhere on a server, and store Session ID in cookie.
   Of course, with Zope I'll use ready FSSession.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd@phd.russ.ru