[Zope] ZopePacks: A Proposal for a new Zope Product...

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:12:55 -0500 (EST)

Rob Page writes:
 > I too, think this is a cool (and useful) idea!!

I agree as well.  It might also be useful to include hooks in the pack
format to support upgrading a product installation (e.g. converting
all Squishdot postings to the new format :-)).

 > It might be useful to look at the docs for the RPM and see what kinds of
 > things they were thinking about.  This is not to say that ZopePacks
 > should be anywhere near as comprehensive as RPMs.  Rather, that they've
 > thought of a number of issues that may or may not be germane the
 > mechanisms in Zope.

If you do this you probably should also look at the Debian pkg stuff
to see the features they found missing in RPMs.  Again, you probably
don't need all of it, but their analysis may be useful.

    dan