[Zope] ZopePacks: A Proposal for a new Zope Product...

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:33:53 -0500

Currently objects can evolve themselves in their __setstate__ method.
The pack operation doesn't really know much about objects and their
classes, just records and transactions.

>  > It might be useful to look at the docs for the RPM and see
> what kinds of
>  > things they were thinking about.

Absolutly, this is a great idea.  Why think hard?

> This is not to say that ZopePacks
>  > should be anywhere near as comprehensive as RPMs.  Rather,
> that they've
>  > thought of a number of issues that may or may not be germane the
>  > mechanisms in Zope.
>
> If you do this you probably should also look at the Debian pkg stuff
> to see the features they found missing in RPMs.  Again, you probably
> don't need all of it, but their analysis may be useful.

I can't immagine that either RH or Debian designed their packaging
system without considering the idea of other people needing to use a
similar tool.  Perhaps there is a library that can manipulate either
format that we can use that does all the hard work for us?

-Michel