[Zope] ZopePacks: A Proposal for a new Zope Product...

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:33:27 -0500

Hi, Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Fulton" <jim@digicool.com>
To: "Butch Landingin" <butchland@yahoo.com>
Cc: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] ZopePacks: A Proposal for a new Zope Product...

> Here's one comment that should provide a good place to start.
> There is already a mechanism for creating product distributions
> for products created through the web.  When you develop a product
> with ZClasses and you want to distribute it, you can use a
> web interface to create a tar ball that can be installed just like
> any other Zope product. There is no need to fool around with export
> files and no need to have an inconsistent installation mechanisms.

I've tried this a couple times and was never able to use the resulting
distribution. (The ZClasses just didn't show up in the Add dropdowns.)

The other thing that might make Zope Packs handy is because you may want to
release the "source". I've gathered that the Product Distribution tab would
create products where you can't really peruse the contents. Creating a .zexp
file, the user gets all of the DTML methods, ZClasses, etc. in a state that
is ready for modification.

Kevin