[Zope] why use zope?

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:26:35 -0500

Have you tried letting them in via FTP and/or WebDAV?  Or possibly
constructing an upload form for new documents that makes use of a file
attachment?

From a user's perspective, there is little benefit to using Zope rather
than FrontPage+IIS.  All they know is that they can't use the "Publish"
button.  They don't really care about much more than that.

I think the most compelling argument to *management* would be that
you've come up with a highly flexible solution to your problem in a far
lower amount of time at a far lower cost than if you had used an
equivalent commercial solution.  I have nothing but anecdotal evidence
to back this claim based on my time as an ASP developer, however.

A probably less compelling argument is that Zope is completely
open-standards-based, whereas nobody really knows exactly how Front Page
does its magic.

That said, your job should probably be to make it bone-simple for your
end users to publish stuff using Zope.  This may take a bit of
programming.   Perhaps construct an upload application which allows them
to upload an HTML file which gets parsed for identifying characteristics
and gets placed in the "right" area automagically or some such thing.
It's definitely possible to make it pretty easy for your users to do
stuff quickly.  Weaning them from the publish button isn't easy, but it
can be done.