[Zope] RE: PGP Signed e-mails.

Sam Gendler sgendler@impossible.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:09:24 -0800

Brenton Bills wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am using ( hope to be) SSL for secure connections between customers
> and a server, what I would like to do is forward credit card transaction
> information from the Server to a machine behind a firewall at my place of
> business. I assume the best way to do this is to PGP encode an e-mail and
> send it to the machine behind the firewall. What I would like to know is
> this the best method? And secondly has anyone implemented functionality in
> zope to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>         Brenton Bills.

Rather than using email, which will force you to strip out smtp and mime headers
upon receipt (not to mention speak POP3 and SMTP protocols), you can, quite
securely, connect to a machine using ssh.  If your firewall is a linux box,
rather than a dedicated firewall, you can run an ssh proxy which will let you do
all kinds of neat things to the network behind the firewall, all of it private
key encrypted.  If you have a dedicated firewall, you will have to allow
connections from your server to a machine behind the firewall on the ssh port
(22, if memory serves correctly).  In the latter case, you can use scp to copy a
file just as though it was copying to another directory on your local server,
once you have ssh configured (see the man pages on ssh and rsh, as well as scp
and sshd)

--sam

--sam

--
Sam Gendler
Chief Technology Officer - Impossible, Inc.