[Zope] Re: IMAP vs POP in worldpilot (was Re: Worldpilot (was Re: Any news from ZOPE track? ))

Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:46:47 +1100

>>> Ryan Hughes wrote
> Furthermore with most POP servers, it causes an unnecessary high load on
> the server side, by copying the whole mailbox to a temporary file on
> every new POP connection. If you don't delete mail your mailbox can
> reach a considerable size.

mmm... scaling.

> If POP get's implemented sometime into Worldpilot it will be used as a
> download protocol to retrieve mail to be stored in a "local" worldpilot
> storage, but would require removing it from the POP server. We're
> currently refraining from implementing it, since it does require some
> thought in regard to browser timeouts.

Our IMP-based solution on www.ekno.com and www.ekit.com implements
POP as 'fetch from remote POP server into local IMAP store'. That
works ok. It also means you can keep the logic of displaying messages
cleaner.

Anthony