[Zope] Whats the best way to Automatically Start Zope Server on bootup??

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:48:39 -0500

Robert,

I think SuSE uses System V-type RC stuff (e.g. it has /etc/rc.d,
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d, /etc/rc.d/rc5.d, etc.)  Though I might be wrong about
the location of the rc.d directory for SuSE (sometimes LInux vendors put
the rc.d directory in /sbin).

In this case, you're going to want to either use a graphical rc-script
editing tool (sorry, I don't know if SuSE has one) to create an "rc"
script for Zope or make one "by hand".  KDE has a runlevel editor, BTW
(SysV Runlevel Editor).

Use this to create a new rc script in rc.d/init.d/zope or somesuch then
use a symbolic link to it in rc.d/rc3.d and rc.d/rc5.d.  Refer to other
rc scripts for its structure.  See also my install howto at
http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/zopeinstall/ZOPE-INSTALL-HOWTO
for an example rc script that will work on Red Hat.

Note that some people have reported that they need to redirect stdin and
stdout when they start Zope from an init script, it may otherwise quit
unexpectedly.  Append "1>/dev/null 2/dev/null" to the end of the line
which starts Zope in your init script to do so.  This bug is in the
collector but insn't fixed.

*Or*............. just use Windows if you'd rather not be bothered with
the learning curve on these kinds of issues.  I'm serious.  It can take
a tremendous amount of time to understand just how the runlevel
environment works in any UNIX.  For a newbie, the *nix/Zope combination
requires a serious time investment.  (In other words, please don't
scream at us if it's driving you nuts :-)).