[Zope] Re. Zope/SuSE 6.x How-To v0.1 ready for review

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:46:32 -0800

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:00:21 -0500
Jules  <zope@jules.com> wrote:

> Yes it does but until the Linux Standard Base (www.linuxbase.org)
> agrees on where everything should be, each distro *may* require a
> separate RPM. From what I've gathered on the list, Red Hat differs
> enough from SuSE that the RPM installation will fail -- can
> anybody confirm this> Does Red Hat use /etc/rc.config? I don't
> have RH around to try and test it.

> If you want to try the RPM out and prove me wrong, I've love to
> eat a big bowl of crow ;-)

Unfortunately, you are correct, and the problem in fact is worse
than that in that you also run into problems with control files
being of different formats (from an automated tool's viewpoint),
helper-tools not being present, packages supplying the same
dependencies under different distributions will have different names
leading to dependency mazes, etc.

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder@kanga.nu