[Zope] User Management Styles

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:24:12 +0100

Hi,

I've noticed two styles for managing users in Zope.

1. Have one User Folder in the root of your Zope instance and then
manage what users can do through Local Roles (PTK and Zope.org spring to
mind)

2. Have user folders at each level of your content tree. This is as
recommended in the ZCMG and otehr older docs.

The question is, which method is better?

My comments would be:
1 is better if the site is 'managed' by a system such as PTK or uses
components such as LoginManager that are non-trivial to setup.
2 is better if you REALLY want to delegate authority for subfolders. The
obvious one is Zope ISP's with more than one client per instance of
Zope.

Please not the 2 currently has serious problems (see the 'Every user
should have the Anonymous role everywhere' thread) and I'm sure I
remember readign about bugs with Local Roles (btu I expect they've all
been fixed by now...)#

Comments?

Chris