[Zope] LONG insert > 2000 chars fail

Riku Voipio Riku.Voipio@tietoenator.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:04:45 +0300

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 08:48:43AM -0400, Satheesh Babu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use Oracle v 8.1.5 and 8.1.6 and there we can go upto
> 5000 characters for string literals. Anyway, LONG is a
> deprecated datatype and we decided to use detail tables
> for text more than 4000 chars. Any given string will be
> split at 4000 chars and inserted as one or more records
> into detail table, as varchar2 fields. Varchar2 fields
> are easy to process also.

Yes, you are right, we are using 8.1.5 On Linux, and it swallows
up to 4k. But having to split a string to get it in the database
feels pretty stupid.

> I think it is more of an Oracle OCI problem than OracleDA.

Yep, I tried to look at oci.c/oci.i sources and got shocked...
Maybe overnight I'll gather some courage to see if it would
be feasible to use 'bind variables' to push data in to the long
columns. Or will it be easier to split text with a python
external method.

--
Riku Voipio
riku.voipio@tietoenator.com