[Zope] Is Zope slow?

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:54:33 -0600

Firestar wrote:

> Hi Bill, thanks for your reply.

[...]

> >That's ~6 Million requests/day. Cut it in half, for more
> >complicated tasks, and still moving along at a good clip.
> >What's better, try Apache doing the same things.
>
> >Does your next project invlove more than just static files
> >sitting on a
> >hard drive? Chances are, you'll be better off with Zope....
>
> I have been programming with PHP and PERL, and they are quite fast,

PHP != Apache
Perl != Apache

These are add-ons.
If you look at the benchmarks you referenced, those were _static_ files
being tested.

 even when serving dynamic pages. Of course, they do not provide all the
features of Zope, but they are able to handle things like sessions,
authentication, database API...which is quite adequate for most
small-to-medium websites. (although sometimes it's quite frustrating
putting the modules together:)

> >Speed and Bencmarks are irrelevant when it comes to real-world
> >performance. :)
>
> benchmark may not be accurate, but i still think that speed is still impt. Check out Jakob Nielsen's website and you would know that speed of serving webpages is one of the main usability factors.

Believe me, I know all about _performance_ of websites. :)

> But then again, if Zope really is THAT good, i may be inclined to switch over and use it as my main development tool in future; but the speed factor is still worrying me - i wouldn't want my website to 'crawl' when i'm presenting it to my boss or clients:)

Have you checked out some real-world sites that run zope? Is being able
to do 6+million requests/day on commodity hardware 'crawling'?

Take it easy....
Bill

--
"Linux: the operating system with a CLUE...
Command Line User Environment".

seen in a posting on comp.software.testing