[Zope] newbie questions

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:59:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, David Trudgett wrote:
> I don't understand this advice. Couldn't the file change while being read?
> Wouldn't a better way be to pack the database and use the Data.fs.old file
> as the backup?

If you are a belt-and-suspenders type, sure <grin>.

Data.fs only gets appended to, and Zope is smart enough to
ignore incomplete transactions on the end of the file when
it starts up.  So the database is *always* in a consistent
state on disk from Zope's point of view, making it safe to
back it up by just copying the live Data.fs.

--RDM