[Zope] SQL Database, automatic form for editing and more

Lucio Torre lucio@movilogic.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:24:28 -0300

Hello,

I am trying to put up an intranet for my company. I have the option of
buying notes but i am trying to convice the team that we can replace it with
a variaty of open source programs.

So far i have:

PGPnet, PGPDisk, Cyrus IMAP, MySQL, CVS.

What i am missing is a platform to develop custom solutions, to put Customer
Relationship management and training and to share resources.

So, geting back to Zope:

1) I want to put in a folder documents and have ftp on that so users can
share files. (Better than nfs or smb, i think). This way the same documents
are also available on the site.

2) i want to be able to use databases for rapid development of aplications.
Like for example, i have a table and automaticaly have the forms and pages
to edit and display the table.

So, to go deeper in point 2. The idea is to have lost of "objects" in tables
(i want to have external access), and an editor (like the Microsoft Access
table listing). Then if i want, i can build more specific editors, but i
need to be able to have a generic editor for all the data.

3) Replication, i will have sites acros latin america and i want them to
access the closest server in their country, so they dont have to wait. Does
ZEO work?

Thanks in advance. If anyone has any opinion or tought besides using zope,
id like to hear them the same.

Lucio.